Novigrad/Cittanova is a town and a municipality in Istria County in western Croatia located on small peninsula. In Croatian it is also sometimes referred to as Novigrad Istarski to distinguish it from three other Croatian towns of the same name. Novigrad is set on a small peninsula on the western coast of Istria, two kilometres north of the mouth of the river Mirna and some 25 km south of the border with Slovenia. It has a great history from a Greek times. Here was a location of a roman city Aemona. From 1270 it was under the rule of the Venetian Republic, which gave it the Italian name of Cittanova.