The town of Ludbreg is located near the city of Varaždin. It is also known as the “centre of the world” or “centrum mundi” because it was equally distant from all the major cities in the medieval Europe. For centuries Ludbreg has been a popular place of pilgrimage. In 1320 the town was mentioned for the first time as Castrum Ludbreg. It is suspected that the name of the town comes from a crusader named Lobring, who founded the settlement. The town became well known after the Eucharistic miracle that happened in the castle chapel in 1411 and was investigated and confirmed by the pope Leo X in 1513. The chapel of the Holy Cross, where the event took place, is now a part of Batthyany Castle.